[Spi-private] Re: Inviting questions from SPI

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Fri Jul 13 14:44:41 UTC 2007

MJ Ray wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd at commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> I plan on actively recruiting new projects. There are many, many FOSS
>> projects out there that could use SPI services, that have no idea who we
>> are.
>
> There are also many who know who SPI are and then still set up
> independent foundations anyway.  Do you know some reasons why?

Well I don't "know" but I could guess. SPI, just really doesn't exist.
This is an advocacy problem. We have been around for years and yet Open
Source and FOSS have ran off without us.

We have the potential to be very influential in the process.

> One reason I have seen is that SPI does not advocate and market its
> projects in the way a single-project foundation usually does.  Would
> you address that and how?

Oh, heh see above. I have some specific ideas in mind, I mention some of
them in my platform:

* A more physical presence of SPI and the associative projects at well
known events such as OSCON, LinuxWorld, and USENIX.

* Working in FOSS hubs (such as S.F., Seattle and Portland) to foster
workshops, talks and training opportunities not only for new FOSS
community members, but also businesses that can help in the market drive
of FOSS.

* Work with SPI members to sponsor individuals to give talks related to
FOSS at every possible legitimate opportunity.

* Work to have all associative projects work together to provide a more
influential presence to communities, governments and businesses.

> Another reason is that SPI is controlled by developers and not users.
> Would you address that and how?

Hmmm... I am not sure this is actually a problem. At least not the way I
think you think so. As long as the respective projects work to actually
integrate SPI into their projects, this problem should largely go away.

PostgreSQL has done this quite a bit. We are very proactive in the use
of SPI.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/