[Spi-private] Re: Inviting questions from SPI

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Fri Jul 13 19:04:38 UTC 2007

Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 07:44:41AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> * A more physical presence of SPI and the associative projects at well
>> known events such as OSCON, LinuxWorld, and USENIX.
>>
>> * Working in FOSS hubs (such as S.F., Seattle and Portland) to foster
>> workshops, talks and training opportunities not only for new FOSS
>> community members, but also businesses that can help in the market drive
>> of FOSS.
>>
>> * Work with SPI members to sponsor individuals to give talks related to
>> FOSS at every possible legitimate opportunity.
>
> So presumably that ends up meaning "to give talks promoting FOSS to the
> broader public at every possible opportunity", or something. I'm not sure
> that SPI has the funds to do that to any significant degree at present,

"at present" would be accurate.

> but if SPI were visibly active in some way that's independent from its
> member projects, I suspect it'd be easy to raise funds to support that
> sort of stuff.

Yes.

>> * Work to have all associative projects work together to provide a more
>> influential presence to communities, governments and businesses.
>
> So I guess my question is are you willing to make those sort of goals
> independent of your election? They all sound pretty interesting and
> sensible expansions of SPI's mission to me, to the point that I'd like

I don't see it as an expansion. I see it as continuing the efforts of
the purpose.

> to see them happen even if you miss out on a board seat, and presuming
> whoever's elected isn't actively opposed to those sorts of ideas, it seems
> like something you could lead as a "promotions committee" or something.

If such as thing existed, yes. It is something I already do with PostgreSQL.

> So ignoring the election part and endorsement as an official SPI activity,
> what's it going to take to actually get this stuff going? Do we need
> money or sponsors first, or do we need people to do these things, or a
> strategy of what to try promoting first, or what?

Excellent question. There is a lot that needs to be done. Here is a
small bullet list:

* Money
* Sponsors
* Coordination with our projects to help sponsor (For example, a webinar
on using PostgreSQL and Debian in the enterpise), SPI could give the
webninar with the help of sponsorship from PostgreSQL + Debian.
* Organization and a plan.

The last one is key. Having a plan that "this team" (whoever that is) is
going to approach the following vendors/sponsors to raise money for this
(whatever this is) goal...

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 11:32:16AM -0400, David Graham wrote:
>> We have to decide as an organisation if our purpose is to influence the
>> community or simply be the wall the community can lean against while it
>> does its work.

>> I believe that we should make every reasonable effort to assist our
>> associated projects in doing any advocacy they wish, within the bounds of
>> their budgets and our charter. I don't believe our role is to be an
>> independent lobby group, but our projects are free to be with our backing.

Our charter clearly states:

     * To create, form and establish an organization to formulate and
provide software systems for use by the general public without charge;
     * to teach and train individuals regarding the use and application
of such systems;
     * to hold classes, seminars and workshops concerning the proper use
and application of computers and computer systems;
     * to endeavor to monitor and improve the quality of currently
existing publicly available software;
     * to support, encourage and promote the creation and development of
software available to the general public;
     * to provide information and education regarding the proper use of
the Internet;
     * to organize, hold and conduct meetings, discussions and forums on
contemporary issues concerning the use of computers and computer software;
     * to foster, promote and increase access to software systems
available to the general public;
     * to solicit, collect and otherwise raise money and to expend such
funds in furtherance of the goals and activities of the corporation;
     * to aid, assist, cooperate, co-sponsor and otherwise engage in
concerted action with private, educational and governmental
organizations and associations on all issues and matters concerning the
use of computers and computer software
       and generally
     * to endeavor to promote, foster and advance interest in computers
and computer software by all available means and methods.

In essence, my platform is the charter. I just didn't want to cut and
paste ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/