[Spi-private] Re: Inviting questions from SPI

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Fri Jul 13 20:00:56 UTC 2007

David Graham wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> In essence, my platform is the charter. I just didn't want to cut and
>> paste ;)
>
> The purpose of the charter is to outline the list of anything and
> everything we are allowed to do as an incorporated non-profit, not a list

That does not change my assertion that my platform is the charter.

> of things we necessarily intend or plan to do.

As you just said, "intend" or "plan" to do. That is the exact point I am
making.

As with any corporation,
> the purpose must be set out at its founding and it is my understanding
> that this purpose cannot be changed.

Actually it can. Well at least it can from a for profit corp perspective.

> It is therefore imperative for the
> founders of a corporation, as the founders of SPI here tried to do, to
> forsee all activities SPI may ever consider carrying out at any time. I
> don't believe it was ever the intention of SPI to do all these things at
> once.

Was it ever the intention to do any of them? At present I see we do
"one" of the eleven.

> That said, it is a noble goal to try and carry out everything from
> government lobbying to conference organisation and to generally promote,
> foster and advance interest in computers and computer software by all
> available means and methods. Thanks to our charter, we can adopt member
> projects who do any of these things.

Well understand that I am not in any way looking through rose colored
glasses here. I would "like" to do these things. I "will" work toward
them. I do "not" expect that if I am elected the next week or even next
six months will bring about fundamental change in the SPI way of performing.

Incremental, steady, organized progression.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake