Second Call for nominations - 2007 SPI Board Election

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Jul 20 17:21:54 UTC 2007

Andrew Sullivan writes ("Re: Second Call for nominations - 2007 SPI Board Election"):
> For what it's worth, I didn't interpret the comment that way, and I
> think it is in any case unhelpful at this point to start discussing
> what could or could not have happened in some other possible world.

I agree, and that's not how I meant it.  I just wanted to express my
regret for my part in the failure to keep the membership properly
involved.  I don't want to reopen those particular arguments; the
decisions have already been taken and implemented.

But I do think it's sensible to expect voting members to be influenced
by the way I and other board members voted.  So it's appropriate to
draw those controversies to the attention of the voting members.
It seems to me that if as a candidate I didn't mention at all the two
high-profile items where I was heavily outvoted, I might reasonably be
accused of sweeping my defeats (or my kooky opinions, as others might
think of them) under the carpet.

I'm not sure whether the electorate is more or less likely to vote for
me as a result; I guess we'll find out.

Ian.