Research Process Patenting

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Tue Jul 24 06:21:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 01:23:46PM +0800, Tim Post wrote:

> I am not implying action is even needed. I'm attempting to determine if
> my concerns even have foundation.

And my main point was that, if you want to determine that, you need
to go to some forum with experts who know lots about U.S. patent law,
which is the law relevant to this organisation.  This forum is not
that one.  I think Josh Berkus suggested one that might be.

I ask that this list not become a forum for aimless speculation on
every topic that might conceivably be of interest to those interested
in every aspect of supporting or promoting free or open source
software.  SPI is a corporation that should be directed towards some
end (which end is a decision for the members to make in choosing
board members).  I don't know about others, but I am already
inundated with mail from lists that frequently wander into topics not
germaine to the list purpose.  I am hoping in earnest that this list
not become another one.  So, while a concrete proposal, "I think X is
a problem, and SPI has the mandate and expertise to do Y about it,"
are fodder for the list, general discussion along the lines of, "I
don't know whether X is a problem, and I want to have a speculative
discussion among non-experts in the field," is not, IMO.

That was all I was trying to say.  Now that I've tried to say it
again, I'll shut up about the matter.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
		--J.D. Baldwin