Changing re-election periods

Josh Berkus josh at postgresql.org
Tue Mar 6 02:12:27 UTC 2007

All,

We have a calendar correction to make.

The current schedule of SPI elections for the Board is this:

2007: 6 seats

2008: 3 seats

2009: 0 seats

2010: 6 seats

etc...

I think you can see some problems with this skewed rotation, the product of
some missed/aborted elections in our past.  I'm thinking of proposing two
things:

1) That three years is too long a term for a board seat in an OSS group;
instead, it should be two.   For evidence, check out the history of
attendance listed last election; it's a steady decline by year of office.

2) That we alternate 4/5/4/5 on a two-year election cycle.  This would mean
one of the people elected in 2006 would be up early; I'll volunteer.

However, since this is a change to the election procedures I don't think
that we can do it as a board vote, so I'm not sure how to ratify it even
when we reach a consensus.

Thoughts?

--
--Josh