Draft resolution formalising Debian's Associated Project status

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Thu Mar 8 12:28:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 11:30:29AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh at postgresql.org> wrote:
> > I feel like I keep saying, "I want a simple API definition" and Ian & MJ keep
> > saying "read the whole codebase".
>
> I meant to say "summarise the API if you want, but acknowledge that
> the codebase decides the API" - IOW, project constitutions are
> authoritative and SPI doesn't seek to change them.

When you get a checking account for any non-profit organization, the
bank wants one or two people to be authorized signatories on the
account, and each year when there is an election the secretary or some
other officer sends a official letter to the bank (with a
countersignature from one of the people who are currently authorized
to sign on the account) saying who the new people with signature
authority should be.

This is a simple API, but it does not involve "rewriting the project
constitution".  Claiming that the project constitution requires SPI or
a bank to be intimately involved with the project internal politics is
completely bogus and makes no sense.

						- Ted