Draft resolution formalising Debian's Associated Project status

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Fri Mar 16 19:49:49 UTC 2007

Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:54:10AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Let Debian deal with it, and report (via the Liaison) to SPI the motion
>> etc...  If the Secretary drags his/her feet, then the DDs can form a
>> quorum to recall her yes?
>
> They can actually only pass a general resolution to appoint a new
> secretary if there is a disagreement between the project leader and the
> incumbent secretary. (cf. Paragraph 4.1.7). So if the project leader is
> happy with the secretary, DDs cannot recall the project secretary
> (without first recalling the project leader and replacing him via a
> nine-week election). However, if a general resolution does get
> attempted, it is the Secretary and only the Secretary who runs votes,
> determines method of balloting, decides issues of procedure, etc.
> Therefore, if the Secretary drags his/her feet on the vote and is
> uncooperative about agreeing to a replacement Secretary, there's really
> nothing to be done. It's definitely a flaw in the system.

Uhmmm... yuck?

I mean... yuck. That says to me, SPI needs to deal with a significant
deficiency within Debian. I now see why.. it is such a problem though.

IMO, the SPI should respond that it is our "suggestion" that Debian
elect to change their constitution to have a representative body.

Yes I am fully aware of what I just said and we don't have to delve into
it now.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/