Draft resolution formalising Debian's Associated Project status

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Mar 16 19:54:37 UTC 2007

Joshua D. Drake writes ("Re: Draft resolution formalising Debian's Associated Project status"):
> Well again, not so much opposed to the idea of them giving us
> information as much as us actually acting on it.
>
> 15 DDs stood in a room and cried foul.
> What does that mean?

`Cried foul' is the wrong way to put it.  What they would say is
something like this:

  We the undersigned 12 Debian Developers have sponsored a resolution
  to freeze and overturn the DPL's decision to buy a pony.

  The resolution itself is here: http://lists.debian.org/....

  According to the Debian constitution (http://www.debian.org/...)
  section 4.2(2)(2), our opposition has immediately placed the DPL's
  decision on hold.  (K is Q or 5, whichever is the smaller, so our
  12 sponsors are definitely at least 2K.)

So any 10 DDs are enough to put a decision on hold pending a vote.
This has rarely happened in practice.

See http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution, which is the document
that SPI has agreed to honour.

Ian.