Draft resolution formalising Debian's Associated Project status

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at spi-inc.org
Sat Mar 17 01:16:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 02:09:49PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> The only thing which the SPI should care about with respect to the
> authority held by the DPL and the Secretary is their authority with
> respect to the requests made to the SPI.  And these authorities is
> somethign which can and should be very clearly enumerated.

I agree. Paragraph 5 of the final draft which the board approved today
only referred to their authority insofar as it is relevant to SPI, not
every aspect of their authority. Read literally, paragraph 4's final
version unintentionally applied the relevance restriction only to
notification about GRs, and not to disputes or changes regarding the
DPL's authority, but given context and common sense, I'd expect that
people will be reasonable in interpreting and applying that paragraph.

If it actually becomes a problem where the Debian Secretary feels
compelled to tell SPI about irrelevant changes in the DPL position, we
can fix the wording to be precisely correct at that time. I, for one,
think the imprecision will have little enough practical effect that it's
not worth worrying about or spending time to correct unless we find that
it ends up mattering. If you agree, let's end this thread.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy at spi-inc.org

P.S. - "SPI", not "the SPI".