Charters, manifestos, and SPI's purpose, and forum-widening

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Thu May 10 20:51:37 UTC 2007

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Now, perhaps I am being too pedantic but honestly... did the founders
> of  SPI intend that we were only to be a glorified PayPal?
The founders are myself and Tim Sailer. Our specific goal at the time
was to protect Debian developers from personal liability by giving them
a corporate shield. This purpose was not achieved, but IMO is more
important today than it was in 1998. Ownership of a few Debian
properties was also a goal.

Being PayPal for Open Source projects in general came later.

    Bruce