Charters, manifestos, and SPI's purpose, and forum-widening

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon May 14 20:00:43 UTC 2007

Bruce Perens wrote:
> It costs a lot more to insure a number of people for their full net
> worth than it costs to insure a corporation that doesn't own anything.
> Insurance cost is at least somewhat proportional to the amount you are
> insuring. Covering the DDs as a group gets into the tens of Millions
> pretty quickly. Thus, shifting the burden of liability from the
> individual to the corporation is the essential first step in
> protecting that individual without breaking the bank.

OK folks - given the news from Microsoft today, it's time to do this.
Will SPI back it? Do I need a resolution? It will help me convince
Software Freedom Law Center to do the work if SPI backs it. It would be
a separate corporation from SPI for legal reasons - like we don't want
to put the Debian trademark in hock.

    Thanks

    Bruce