Liability protection project - call for participants

Josh Berkus josh at postgresql.org
Tue May 15 16:03:42 UTC 2007

All,

I'd just like to point out that nobody who has yet discussed this project is
an attorney or insurance analyst.  As such, opinions on the viability for a
liability shield for Debian ... or any other FOSS project ... are worth about
as much as the opinion of a marketing MBA on agile code design.  Until we
hear from an expert, it's blowing smoke.

So, the first step in any discussion of a liability shield would be to get an
opinion from experts, probably more than one.  If we were talking about
PostgreSQL, for example, I'd want opinions from at least two attorneys and an
insurance analyst.  People can't decide whether to participate until they
know how much it will cost and what protection it will *actually* provide.
But that's up to you guys.

After the DDs have  a program you can endorse, then we can discuss the SPI vs.
SFLC vs. independant corp issue.  Then if SPI is not involved (a mistake, I'd
think), the discussion moves off this list.

--
Josh Berkus
Treasurer