Some questions about "becoming member of SPI"

Michael Renzmann mrenzmann at madwifi.org
Fri Nov 16 13:52:44 UTC 2007

Hi all.

It took a while, but we (the MadWifi project) are getting closer to a
decision about how to go to incorporate as non-profit organisation
(references are [1], [2] and [3]). As things stand now we most probably
would like to apply for SPI membership.

However, there are some questions left:

So far, the MadWifi project is not more than a loosely organised bunch of
developers who work on the same piece of software. As far as I understood
it's necessary to get some paperwork done to become SPI member. But who
exactly is entitled (or required) to sign this paperwork? One of the
developers? Some of them? Or even all?

Which obligations and/or liabilities will result out of this paperwork for
those (personally) who sign it? When and how can each signee lay off these
obligations/liabilities, and which consequences would that have on the
"continuance" of the membership and thus the non-profit status of our
project?

Usually non-profits want (and/or need) some kind of charter that deals
with stuff such as "which goals do we have", "who can become a member and
how", "who is allowed to vote and who is not", and so on. Are there any
"defaults" that apply to any member of the SPI (and which each member can
then "override" with their own charter)? If not, at which point are we
required to come up with a charter, and would you provide some kind of
councelling for that task?

Bye, Mike

[1] http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-general/2007-September/002413.html
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.madwifi.devel/5188