Some questions about "becoming member of SPI"

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Nov 16 14:34:26 UTC 2007

"Michael Renzmann" <mrenzmann at madwifi.org> wrote: [...]
> So far, the MadWifi project is not more than a loosely organised bunch of
> developers who work on the same piece of software. As far as I understood
> it's necessary to get some paperwork done to become SPI member. But who
> exactly is entitled (or required) to sign this paperwork? One of the
> developers? Some of them? Or even all?

Individual developers become SPI members.  Apply online at
https://members.spi-inc.org/
Only the applicant themselves may sign.

I think maybe this is being confused with MadWifi becoming an
associate project of SPI.  As I understand it, supporting a project is
a unilateral decision of SPI (but not one that would usually happen
without the project's support) and the vote should state who/what SPI
recognises as the decision-makers of that project, as in
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2007-06-18-iwj.2.html
which references the most recent Associated Project Framework
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2004-08-10-iwj.1

> Which obligations and/or liabilities will result out of this paperwork for
> those (personally) who sign it? When and how can each signee lay off these
> obligations/liabilities, and which consequences would that have on the
> "continuance" of the membership and thus the non-profit status of our
> project?

I think the project will not be a non-profit itself, if all it does is
associate with SPI.  That may or may not matter to you.

SPI's charter is pretty much http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/by-laws

> If not, at which point are we
> required to come up with a charter, and would you provide some kind of
> councelling for that task?

"SPI takes the view that the political and technical decision making
for a Project is a matter for the people who participate in it.
Accordingly, SPI does not normally control or manage Projects."
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2004-08-10-iwj.1

Which I take to mean that you're not required to.  However, I'm sure
there's lots of informal counsel available if a project thought it was
a good idea ;-)

I'm just an active member of SPI for 3+ years, not board or anything.
Any or all of the above could be wrong, but I don't think it is.  I'd
welcome corrections from anyone better qualified.

Hope that helps,