Some questions about "becoming member of SPI"

Josh Berkus josh at postgresql.org
Mon Nov 26 22:35:28 UTC 2007

JD,

> I also know of nothing that would stop us from sending money to another
> 501c3.

Well, we can't if the other 501(c)3 isn't in line with our mission
statement, or if it's a violation of a donor-given designation.  So two
examples of things which would be prohibited:

-- giving money to a religious non-profit which had nothing to do with
software or any SPI-funded event

-- taking money someone had donated to Gallery and giving it to the SFLC
without endorsement by the Gallery staff

The idea is that we have to honor the explicitly stated, or implied (by
virtue of the mission statement) intention of the donor when they gave
money to us.  Of course, the SFLC is 100% in line with our mission.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Board Member