How does SPI differ from SFC?

Michael Renzmann mrenzmann at madwifi.org
Tue Sep 25 14:44:38 UTC 2007

Hi all.

First off: I hope that I managed to choose the right platform for my
inquiry ;) In case I failed, please accept my appologies in advance and
let me know who I should contact instead. Thanks.

I'm one of the guys behind the MadWifi project [1]. We intend to
incorporate as a non-profit now. Joining a non-profit umbrella such as the
SPI or the SFC (Software Freedom Conservancy [2]) for that purpose is very
appealing for us; we are all technical guys and we're thankful for every
administrative task that we don't need to take care of.

As far as I could find out by now, it seems to me that SPI and SFC offer
pretty similar services to its members. One difference I can see is the
option to accept (tax-deductible?) donations through partners in Germany,
Italy and Canada (on SPI's side), while SFC so far "only" has accounts in
the US. Are there other important differences that I might have missed?

What "unique selling point(s)" do you see for SPI in comparisson to the SFC?

Bye, Mike

[1] http://madwifi.org
[2] http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org