How does SPI differ from SFC?

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at spi-inc.org
Tue Sep 25 16:11:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:55:14AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I won't argue against SFC as they are only trying to do what we are
> trying to do, which is to help FOSS sofware projects. What I will due is
> point out our particular strengths.

Just for a slight bit of balance, I will point out that SFC seems
primarily connected to the Software Freedom Law Center meaning that they
likely have several lawyers available as resources. That said, we do
have one pro bono lawyer working with us as well. If you think you will
have significant requirements for legal advice or legal work (e.g. the
recent news surrounding BusyBox), and that this will be more important
than money and donation management, SFC probably has advantages, though
SPI can still satisfy all those needs as well. If your legal needs are
secondary to your money and donation management needs, including having
tax-deductible donation partners in some European countries as you've
noticed, SPI seems to be a good fit. You can't really go wrong with
either option. I have more familiarity with SPI (see my signature below)
and so my comments about SPI should be considered as more reliable than
my comments about SFC.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz, former SPI director and treasurer
jimmy at spi-inc.org