Request: SPI to join FACIL in support of Quebec challenge

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat Aug 30 09:16:19 UTC 2008

Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy at spi-inc.org> wrote: [...]
> Most likely, if we stay away from anything connected to partisan activity,
> political campaigns, or expressing or influencing opinions on who should or
> shouldn't be voted for or elected to office, we will not violate the
> prohibition on political activities. If we stay away from anything trying to
> directly or indirectly influence legislation or its adoption or rejection, we
> will probably not violate the limitations on acceptable amounts of lobbying
> activities. [...]

That was pretty much my understanding.  So, would members like SPI to
join FACIL?

It seems pretty clearly acceptable under a SPI goal "to aid, assist,
cooperate, co-sponsor and otherwise engage in concerted action with
private, educational and governmental organizations and associations
on all issues and matters concerning the use of computers and computer
software and generally"

Just so there's someone to do any work involved, I offer to act as
liaison, although a Canadian francophone member would be better IMO.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)