Request: SPI to join FACIL in support of Quebec challenge

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Fri Aug 29 16:44:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:20:17PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> members is even Canadian. The membership (contributing and non-contributing) is
> from all over the world, including Canada and elsewhere in addition to the US.

Oh, I didn't have any doubts about that.  I'd just hate for someone
opposed to what FACIL is trying to do to use the US incorporation
against them.

> Still, I wouldn't want SPI to be involved in FACIL if it would seem politically
> inappropriate and be counterproductive to FACIL's goals or SPI's credibility in
> Canada or elsewhere. More information on this important detail would be
> welcome.

I suspect the easiest thing to do would be to see if there were a
FACIL member who wanted to invite us to help.  If the message is
prepared correctly, then its "Global Free Software advocates joining
to promote Free Software in Québec," instead of, "US advocacy group
interferes in Québec government procurement."  That's all I'm worried
about :)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104