Request: SPI to join FACIL in support of Quebec challenge

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at spi-inc.org
Fri Aug 29 16:23:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:08:57PM -0400, Michael Schultheiss wrote:
> Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > However, the above paragraph is only my summary of my understanding,
> > not legal advice from any lawyer, and if we do decide to join FACIL,
> > we should get one of our lawyers to confirm that it won't cause us tax
> > problems before any such decision becomes effective.
>
> I'd recommend contacting our CPA who may be more versed in taxes than
> our lawyers.

I'd be fine with an answer from a CPA too (excluding general information that's
not specific advice to us), though I'd expect that the SFLC is extremely
familiar with the tax issues applicable to our situation given their
relationship with the Software Freedom Conservancy and the fact that both SFLC
and SFC have 501(c)(3) status.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy at spi-inc.org