Debian on Causes (Facebook and MySpace)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Dec 3 01:41:40 UTC 2008

MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> writes:

> Ean Schuessler <ean at brainfood.com> wrote:
> > Some of you are probably saying "Eeee gads! Not accursed
> > proprietary social networks!". Some of us have friends who aren't
> > die-hard computer nerds and, yes, there is a world beyond
> > Advogato. Now shut up and go make your less nerdy friends give
> > money to Debian.
>
> No, I'm saying "use it if you want, but please try to keep external
> backups of all the supporter details and don't create much
> facebook-only content because facebook *do* delete people's accounts
> in an automated, arbitrary and self-contradicting way, so supporting
> them (as opposed to mining them) is not in the public interest."

Indeed, well said.

I also have difficulty following the OP correlating a walled-garden
one-way private club with “wider world”, or even with “less nerdy
friends”.

--
 \       “The generation of random numbers is too important to be left |
  `\                                    to chance.” —Robert R. Coveyou |