Meeting log for 2008-12-17

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Dec 19 22:20:50 UTC 2008

Bdale Garbee writes ("Re: Meeting log for 2008-12-17"):
> ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk (Ian Jackson) writes:
> > Excellent.  Can you explain why it wasn't followed in this case ?
>
> Because I violated it.  I apparently dropped the ball on getting the
> final text of the resolution to the secretary before the usual deadline,
> despite the fact that it was ready well in advance of the meeting.
> That was entirely my fault.

Not just to the secretary, but also to the membership and the public.

Note that for an Associated Project resolution the public at large are
an important constituency because if there is some kind of dispute
surrounding or problem with a project, it is most likely that people
involved _with that project_ will know about it - not necessarily SPI
contributing members.  So a timely public disclosure is essential.

> As you will see from the IRC log of the meeting, I offered to defer
> the vote on this resolution until January if any board member present
> objected to voting on it at this meeting.  Lacking such objection, we
> went ahead and voted approval of it.  I presumed at the time that this
> was because the other board members were satisfied with the discussion
> to date and understood and approved of the resolution text as presented.

But how could the board know whether or not they were doing the right
thing, when the membership and the public haven't had the opportunity
to comment ?

I'm afraid that simply isn't good enough.  The question should have
been deferred as a matter of course.  You shouldn't have suggested
going ahead with it anyway, and the rest of the board should not have
acquiesced.

Ian.