Meeting log for 2008-12-17

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Dec 19 22:26:01 UTC 2008

Ian Jackson writes ("Re: Meeting log for 2008-12-17"):
> I'm afraid that simply isn't good enough.  The question should have
> been deferred as a matter of course.  You shouldn't have suggested
> going ahead with it anyway, and the rest of the board should not have
> acquiesced.

Let me expand on that.

If it is the practice that we `try' to get resolutions drafted and
published `in time' but that if we don't manage that for some reason
the board goes ahead and transacts the business anyway, there is no
real pressure for doing it better.

We just get a constant stream of ever more bitter complaints from the
membership, and a constant stream of apologies from Board members
(well, when we're lucky the membership gets an apology!)

The only way this can possibly be made to work is if late business is
AUTOMATICALLY DEFERRED unless it's an emergency.

At the moment the 7-day deadline for drafting a resolution is not a
real deadline.  It's written down in a document which is ignored.  It
is not mentioned in the announcements of meetings; it is not preceded
by a reminder which would encourage people to get their preparation
done in time; and when the deadline is missed there are no
consequences.  This all needs to change.

Ian.