Meeting agenda robot

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Dec 23 10:52:51 UTC 2008

Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
> Previously MJ Ray wrote: [...]
> > 2. it should allow easier contributions from people without prior
> > approval - able to edit stuff without ever touching an spi machine;
>
> Plone should make that just as easy. Why do people find this painful
> currently?

Sure - these aren't necessarily solid arguments *against* Plone
(except that we're inexpert at it), but rather *for* ikiwiki+git.

Could you point me at how, please?  I've not been an admin on a Plone
site for 6 or 8 years, I didn't know disconnected editing was possible
and I'm writing for other projects using Plone for their websites in
the near future, so it would be useful for me to know.  I didn't find
anything useful searching plone.org for "disconnected" or browsing the
documentation.

[...]
> > 5. we failed to add a new user to plone, then corrupted the database
> > by trying to download a copy of the page content from its webdav, then
> > discovered that a special "copy-the-plone-db-in-a-consistent-state"
> > command should have been run at backup time.  It's mainly by the
> > persistence of Ganneff and kind help from some (unknown to me) Plone
> > experts that most of the current site was recovered.
>
> Wow. I wonder how you managed to do that! That sounds like extremely
> unlikely breakage.

Actually, "corrupted the database by trying to download" is my
mistake.  I don't know that for sure.  I just think it's the most
probable explanation, but it could have been the attempts to add a new
user to plone which broke it, or simply the phase of the moon.

As far as I know, the download attempt was simply a davfs mount, then
tar czvf content.tar.gz mountpoint.  It seemed an extremely unlikely
breakage to me too, but that didn't make anyone any happier with us
after www.spi-inc.org was replaced by some error messages!

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef)