Meeting agenda robot

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Dec 23 12:25:24 UTC 2008

Previously MJ Ray wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
> > Previously MJ Ray wrote: [...]
> > > 2. it should allow easier contributions from people without prior
> > > approval - able to edit stuff without ever touching an spi machine;
> >
> > Plone should make that just as easy. Why do people find this painful
> > currently?
>
> Sure - these aren't necessarily solid arguments *against* Plone
> (except that we're inexpert at it), but rather *for* ikiwiki+git.
>
> Could you point me at how, please?  I've not been an admin on a Plone
> site for 6 or 8 years, I didn't know disconnected editing was possible
> and I'm writing for other projects using Plone for their websites in
> the near future, so it would be useful for me to know.  I didn't find
> anything useful searching plone.org for "disconnected" or browsing the
> documentation.

I did not understand you were talking about working disconnectedly. That
is something Plone does not support (nor is it very high on the
todo-list).

> [...]
> > > 5. we failed to add a new user to plone, then corrupted the database
> > > by trying to download a copy of the page content from its webdav, then
> > > discovered that a special "copy-the-plone-db-in-a-consistent-state"
> > > command should have been run at backup time.  It's mainly by the
> > > persistence of Ganneff and kind help from some (unknown to me) Plone
> > > experts that most of the current site was recovered.
> >
> > Wow. I wonder how you managed to do that! That sounds like extremely
> > unlikely breakage.
>
> Actually, "corrupted the database by trying to download" is my
> mistake.  I don't know that for sure.  I just think it's the most
> probable explanation, but it could have been the attempts to add a new
> user to plone which broke it, or simply the phase of the moon.
>
> As far as I know, the download attempt was simply a davfs mount, then
> tar czvf content.tar.gz mountpoint.  It seemed an extremely unlikely
> breakage to me too, but that didn't make anyone any happier with us
> after www.spi-inc.org was replaced by some error messages!

I can see that producing errors if you had some magic filenames in there
that conflicted with some ids plone uses internally. But that is
something different than a corrupted database, and generally easy to fix.

Wichert.