Meeting agenda robot

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Dec 24 18:23:04 UTC 2008

Ean Schuessler wrote:
> JRuby outruns Ruby... even Ruby 1.9.
While the last "ruby shootout" benchmark set is about a year old, it
hardly showed JRuby as a performer. At that time I think it would have
been fair to characterize JRuby as running at about 1/10 the speed of
Yarv, the implementation that became Ruby 1.9 .

http://antoniocangiano.com/2007/12/03/the-great-ruby-shootout/

The main reason I'd not tremendously recommend building new projects in
Java is efficient utilization of the programmer, and of the subsequent
programmers who will have to maintain the project. Performance will not
be the critical factor for this project.

For best readability by subsequent maintainers, either Python or Ruby
should be recommended. The disciplined can write elegant software in any
language, but some languages are better at guiding the programmer to do
so than others.

    Thanks

    Bruce