Preferred implementation language (Re: Meeting agenda robot)

Kalle Kivimaa killer at debian.org
Thu Dec 25 11:38:21 UTC 2008

My experience in volunteer projects is to informally poll the
potential developers for the implementation language and/or platform
and select the one with the most widespread willingness to use/learn
it. Very few volunteer projects end up having performance issues, and
if that happens, you're probably best off rewriting the whole thing,
anyway, so making a lanugage/platform switch is a very minor issue at
that point.

If you select the current hot silver bullet / current best stable
performance platform and end up with nobody (or very few) people
willing to develop on it, the choice is obviously wrong. Of course,
you want to enforce coding conventions to keep the code base clean and
legible, and I don't think any of the potential languages here (yes,
including Perl) are inherently illegible.

--
* Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology (T.P)  *
*           PGP public key available @ http://www.iki.fi/killer           *