Copyright issues re Debian website

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Tue Mar 4 21:03:32 UTC 2008

Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 11:36:02AM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> I'd rather reserve our lawyers' limited
> resources for requests of an associated project instead of for
> individual desires that may or may not be share by the project they
> pertain to.

Just please confirm to me that you did not really have any competent
legal advice behind your original statement. That particular meme about
copyright changes requiring contact with every single developer is an
oft-repeated and IMO harmful and misinformed one in Open Source circles.
I don't like to see SPI or the DDs base policy on legal myths, but do
not otherwise have a reason to push this issue with the DDs.
> feel free to recommend to them that they move the website copyright to a legal entity solely affiliated with Debian.
My opinion is that the holding company concept never worked for Debian.
After 10 years there are still problems with DD participation in SPI and
even SPI folks still feel uneasy regarding SPI owning Debian stuff.

    Bruce