Copyright issues re Debian website

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Tue Mar 4 22:29:33 UTC 2008

Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> However, it doesn't cite any legal authorities at all, whether case law, statutes, or secondary texts.
There's a 207 page report at
http://www.copyright.gov/orphan/orphan-report-full.pdf
But no new legislation resulting from it.
> Nor does it show any evidence that Linus's modifications to his license were legally valid for code that was not his own
In which case we can still license the entire kernel under GPL3. Either
Linus did not have a right to make the original change to remove the
"any later version" text, and we can use GPL3 on the kernel today, or he
does have the right to make another change to include similar text in
the future.

I agree, 'nuff said.

    Thanks

    Bruce