Copyright issues

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at spi-inc.org
Wed Mar 5 15:47:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 10:23:27AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> First off, I'm not sure that this is so different, because OpenWRT may
> be expecting ease of bugfixing licensing to be one of the benefits of
> copyright centralisation.

I will try to coordinate with OpenWRT in a real-time conversation to
find out more of what they want, and will ask our lawyers any questions
necessary to resolve the issue of whether SPI would be suitable for
them.

> Secondly, is it necessary to contact all past contributors, what legal
> document would need to be signed by them and all current and future
> contributors?  I think the debian contributors interested in this
> realise it's a potentially huge task, but SPI hasn't given an explicit
> answer about what we can do to resolve it AFAIK.  Yes, we can go off
> at half-cock, based on some incorrect layman understanding, do a huge
> task and then still find we've not fixed the bug, but I'd rather not,
> OK?
>
> > I'm not saying this is impossible, but if I'm not mistaken,
> > Debian hasn't even decided how it wants to resolve the issue, so SPI
> > can't really do much.
>
> SPI has the lawyers.  SPI needs to help find out what the debian
> project's options for resolving this issue, please!
>
> Is that really the problem?  SPI wants more direction from the debian
> project still?

I will ping Sam Hocevar and see what he thinks the status and priority
of this is for him and for Debian, and will also continue catching up on
-board archives since the end of my previous board term to see if there
has been discussion since then with our lawyers.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy at spi-inc.org