Copyright issues re Debian website

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Mar 6 12:17:12 UTC 2008

Bruce Perens writes ("Re: Copyright issues re Debian website"):
> There's a 207 page report at
> http://www.copyright.gov/orphan/orphan-report-full.pdf

This clearly describes the problem.  I have read the Executive Summary
and it seems from reading it that Jimmy is right and you are wrong.

> But no new legislation resulting from it.

Yes!  It describes a problem very similar that that of the Debian
website copyright (we don't know exactly who the copyright holders
are, can't contact them, and wish to make what would be an infringing
use).  And then it concludes that it is not adequately addressed.

See for example pdf page 20, final paragraph, "However, in
practice, ..." which enumerates some other options for people in our
position but fails to mention anything even slightly resembling your
proposed approach.

Indeed the "search for copyright holders" approach forms part of the
"legislative solutions" which the document recommends but which have
not been enacted.

Ian.