are we being honest about legal resources?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Mar 12 09:15:10 UTC 2008

"Joshua D. Drake" <jd at commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh at postgresql.org> wrote:
> > You persist in your belief that SPI-general should be an extension of
> > the Debian mailing lists.  Those of us who are not part of the Debian
> > project don't agree.
>
> Josh is kinder than I. It is a crock. Please take your Debian requests
> to the Debian list. Should Debian require the services of SPI I am sure
> that the Debian DPL will ask and at that point I am doubly confident
> that SPI will comply.

So it seems the previous time(s) the Debian Project Leader was
involved with SPI's board discussing this might as well have not
happened, because we need to go through the whole tedious procedure
again, to get SPI to pick up a task it referred away.  Yippee(!)
Apparently even a simple information question won't be answered unless
it's posted to a new thread.  Double yippee(!) We love setting out the
hoops for jumping...

Anyway, even before the above, I started trying to reopen the www
relicensing discussion in debian, during the DPL election, at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2008/03/msg00065.html
because it seems pretty clear some people won't be happy without DPL
action of some sort on this.

But does this saga inform about SPI's ability to manage copyright?

Is www.debian's limbo solely due to debian project mismanagement, or
should SPI ask after tasks that are referred away by its board?

Actually, is SPI using any sort of task tracker?  Is it public?

Aside: I'm happy that other projects are supported by SPI.  I'm
currently a contributor to three of them and user of at least three
more, including PostgreSQL which manages the master user databases at
some of the ISPs I support commercially.  I wish we had more liberal
PostgreSQL-related people on the SPI board, though.  [Insert your own
non-offensive joke about stored procedures and the behaviour of the
two PostgreSQL-related SPI current and former board members here.]

Regards,