are we being honest about legal resources?

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Wed Mar 12 15:31:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:42:15 -0700
Bruce Perens <bruce at perens.com> wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Not for the rest of PostgreSQL I assure you. Command Prompt is just
> > one player in a field of dozens. Command Prompt also does not
> > dictate in any way how the PostgreSQL community operates. We serve
> > at the grace of the community. I have to admit that this is one of
> > your more nonsensical posts.

> I'm sorry that I was not making sense. The statement you made to MJ
> was not one I am used to seeing from an SPI board member.

Fair enough.

> It's pretty clear that there are now two camps that are not
> particularly interested in each other's project, which hasn't really
> been the case with SPI until recently.

This really isn't true at all. You should consider that at least 4 of
the board members are not "Debian" people, although they are involved
with Debian. (I was firmly reminded of this on a chat with Jimmy).

What is clear is that SPI is actually trying to get its act together
(and doing a pretty good job) and that means certainly are coming into
play that didn't when you were around. Things like priorities, channels
of communication and financial accountability.

> SPI has had various people who had a financial interest in Debian on
> the board. I owned about 8% of Progeny, and various Progeny employees
> were on the board, but we weren't "The Debian Company".

And?

> And I am not entirely comfortable with this. Sorry. It's sincerely
> how I feel.

Not comfortable with which?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit