are we being honest about legal resources?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Mar 12 17:37:37 UTC 2008

On Wed March 12 2008 12:14:47 pm Bruce Perens wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Ah, so all that stuff *you* helped write into the original SPI charter
> > about serving the greater OSS community was a bunch of BS, then?  You
> > never meant it?
>
> Those are wonderful goals, not a bunch of BS at all. Did I write them?
>
> I just think there's an implementation problem. Today I think the DDs
> would only fully trust an organization that they entirely own, if that,
> and I missed that fact entirely back then.

Two words: dunc tank.

For those of you that don't follow Debian, the last time Debian people tried
to do this for a very narrow purpose, it led to probably the largest set of
flamewars in several years.

I think that few Debian developers care about the issues SPI works on, and
that would be no different if the organization that works on them
was "owned" by them.  Most would rather just code.  When I got feedback when
I was SPI president and tried to involve Debian developers more in SPI, the
few people that answered my request for feedback pretty much stated that
explicitly.  They're glad to have some people that take care of this stuff
so they don't have to.

-- John