are we being honest about legal resources?

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Wed Mar 12 18:34:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:14:47AM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> I just think there's an implementation problem. Today I think the DDs
> would only fully trust an organization that they entirely own, if that,
> and I missed that fact entirely back then.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion vis-a-vis what DD's would and
wouldn't be willing to trust.  My personal guess is that most DD's
don't care.  The fact of the matter is, the only way Debian can
actually express anything for certain is either by the DPL, or by
going through a formal Resolution process and requesting all DD's to
vote on the matter --- or (as some people mistakenly believe) by
whoever flames the loudest and longest on various unfortunate Debian
or SPI mailing lists.

There are certain *vocal* people who might only trust an organization
that they entirely own.  What the DD population as a majority thinks
or trusts is something which we could only find out by a formal voting
process.

							- Ted