Possible trademark infringement: Book cover

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Wed Mar 12 20:04:23 UTC 2008

Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

Hi,

> The book appears totally unrelated to Debian, but the logo strongly
> indicates otherwise. It appears to me that this an infringement of
> Debian's trademark in the logo.

The swirl logo was made out of a standard tool of some image
manipulation program (was it Corel Draw?), mapping a pre-defined
pattern over a swirl path.

I saw this exact same pattern mapped onto a another shape on the
packaging of an accounting software here (I can get scan of that in a
couple weeks if anybody is interested).

Unfortunately, the swirl is 0% original, hence it's not worth a lot as
a trademark.

Hopefully the official logo contains a bit more original work.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169