are we being honest about legal resources?

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Sat Mar 15 04:16:22 UTC 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:39:09 -0400
Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy at spi-inc.org> wrote:

> Josh, care to give a more clear answer publicly on this list to both
> of those questions? Remember that many people on this list don't know
> the difference between PostgreSQL.Org, the notion of a PostgreSQL.Org
> project, Core, the PostgreSQL Fundraising Group, PostgreSQL as a
> whole, PostgreSQL Global Development Group, and your positions in or
> relationships with all of the above.

I can try :).

There is PostgreSQL.org. This is the "core" project. It is the
project that is affiliated with SPI. It is also the project in which I
hold the position SPI PostgreSQL Liaison.

There are other projects that are affiliated with PostgreSQL.org but not
affiliated with SPI. An example of this would be Postgis.

Then there are non profit corporations that are affiliated, supported
but not endorsed by PostgreSQL.org (PostgreSQL.org does not pick
favorites). Those would be:

PostgreSQLFR
ITPUG/postgresql.it
PGEU/postgresql.eu
PGUS/postgresql.us
JPUG/postgresql.jp

(I think we recently got a PostgreSQL.br too but I don't know the
official status).

Each one of the above are independent non profit entities that are made
up of PostgreSQL Community members but are not PostgreSQL.org
corporations or projects.

Basically PostgreSQL.org is the software community. All the non profits
around it are about well, what non profits are about, education,
outreach, workshops, promotion of ideals (in this case open source
databases) etc... Further they are regional.

PGEU for example is the PostgreSQL Community non profit for the
European Region including Western Russia. The idea is to allow all
those who do not have a central entity to have a clear association too.
So if I am in Austria which does not have a non profit for PostgreSQL,
by default I can join PGEU. Further PGEU is a central resource (not
authority) for all European user groups to coordinate with. One of the
things they are doing is having PGCON EU in the fall.

PGUS is designed to be the United States counterpart to PGEU and JPUG.

These non profit corporations do not in anyway control or direct
PostgreSQL.org. They are just legs of the spider. Of course in my
humble mind its a spider large enough to eat a dolphin, a thing called
big blue and some forward mystic with a big O.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --
      PostgreSQL political pundit | Mocker of Dolphins