israel at amdavisli.co.il
Sat May 10 17:24:15 UTC 2008
From: spi-general-bounces at lists.spi-inc.org
[mailto:spi-general-bounces at lists.spi-inc.org] On Behalf Of
spi-general-request at lists.spi-inc.org
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:00 PM
To: spi-general at lists.spi-inc.org
Subject: Spi-general Digest, Vol 38, Issue 3
Send Spi-general mailing list submissions to
spi-general at lists.spi-inc.org
To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
spi-general-request at lists.spi-inc.org
You can reach the person managing the list at
spi-general-owner at lists.spi-inc.org
When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
"Re: Contents of Spi-general digest..."
1. Meeting log for 2008-04-16 (MJ Ray)
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:41:34 +0100
From: MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop>
Subject: Meeting log for 2008-04-16
To: spi-general at lists.spi-inc.org
Message-ID: <4806809e.1BPB336NsVotA33b%mjr at phonecoop.coop>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
<bdale> Today's agenda and details of pending resolutions can be found on
the web at:
<bdale> I note in passing that the OSI has seated a new board, including
former DPL and SPI advisor Martin Michlmayr.
<schultmc> I'm still working with Josh Berkus to get all the data necessary
for a proper treasurer's report. [I] created a draft report that doesn't yet
include the recent credit card donations but it's more than we've had
previously. The draft report is linked from the agenda. [The expenses are]
from the start of the data entry system until this morning. I entered
2000-01-01 through 2008-04-16 but we didn't start using this system until
2006 iirc. Josh has been handling the credit card data entry himself in the
past and his travel schedule makes him too busy to handle that - I'm taking
that over and will have us caught up ASAP (1-2 weeks max I estimate). Other
than the credit card donations, we're caught up as of the last bank visit.
[item 7.1, Debian logo license ] <Hydroxide> As far as I know, nothing to
discuss this meeting. I don't know why this was left on the agenda from last
[item 7.2, New Debian Project Leader ] <bdale> The Debian project has
elected Steve McIntyre as their new DPL. It has been our tradition to treat
the sitting DPL as an SPI board advisor.
[item 8, Next board meeting] <bdale> I believe our default would be
Wednesday 21st May, 2008 - 19:00 UTC? Works for me. Any strong objections?
TIMED LOG (+01:00)
20:00:08 <bdale> *GAVEL*
20:00:08 <bdale> [item 1, Opening] Welcome to today's Software in the Public
Interest board of directors meeting, which is now called to order.
20:00:08 <bdale> Today's agenda and details of pending resolutions can be
found on the web at:
20:00:08 <bdale> [item 2, Roll Call]
20:00:09 <bdale> Board members, please state your name for the record. As
we have nine board members, quorum for today's meeting is six.
20:00:12 <bdale> Guests (including board advisors), please /msg your names
to Maulkin if you wish your attendance to be recorded in the minutes of this
20:00:15 <bdale> Neil, any regrets?
20:00:17 <schultmc> Michael Schultheiss
20:00:17 <Hydroxide> Jimmy Kaplowitz
20:00:17 <linuxpoet> Joshua Drake
20:00:20 <bdale> Hrm. Neil himself was a tentative regret...
20:00:22 <schultmc> bdale: just Neil :)
20:00:24 <zobel> Martin Zobel-Helas
20:00:25 <bdale> Bdale Garbee
20:00:25 <cdlu> David Graham
20:00:45 <bdale> ok, I'm logging the channel as usual, but is anyone
specifically prepared to cover for Neil?
20:00:49 <BrucePerens> Maulkin not here yet.
20:01:06 <Sledge> Maulkin's out canvassing for local council elections in
20:01:06 <bdale> I believe we have quorum
20:01:07 <Hydroxide> hopefully Maulkin will still check his screen session
and record names of guests from /msg
20:01:16 <Sledge> yeah, he said he would
20:01:29 <Hydroxide> ok
20:01:29 <bdale> who else is missing?
20:01:40 <zobel> bdale: Ganneff?
20:01:46 <schultmc> luk, Ganneff...
20:02:16 <Ganneff> Joerg Jaspert
20:02:26 <bdale> luk_: ??
20:02:37 <luk_> Luk Claes
20:02:39 <cdlu> bdale, we're quorate anyway
20:02:43 <bdale> bingo, thanks all
20:02:55 <bdale> [item 3, President's Report]
20:02:55 <bdale> I note in passing that the OSI has seated a new board,
including former DPL and SPI advisor Martin Michlmayr.
20:02:55 <bdale> Nothing else to report.
20:03:06 <cdlu> cool
20:03:11 <bdale> [item 4, Treasurer's Report]
20:03:11 <bdale> Michael?
20:03:32 <schultmc> I'm still working with Josh Berkus to get all the data
necessary for a proper treasurer's report
20:03:59 * schultmc created a draft report that doesn't yet include the
recent credit card donations but it's more than we've had previously
20:04:14 <Hydroxide> schultmc: I see the draft report in the agenda. what
time period does it cover?
20:04:15 <schultmc> the draft report is linked from the agenda
20:04:25 <Hydroxide> schultmc: the expenses seem rather large for one month
20:04:31 <bdale> schultmc: hrm. our ability to deliver an annual report is
blocked waiting for a report we can include. What's the current prognosis?
20:04:33 <schultmc> Hydroxide: from the start of the data entry system until
20:04:37 <Hydroxide> schultmc: aah.
20:04:47 <Hydroxide> schultmc: do you know what that time frame is?
20:05:00 <schultmc> bdale: it's also stalled on the credit card data entry -
I'll get that taken care of ASAP
20:05:24 <schultmc> Hydroxide: I entered 2000-01-01 through 2008-04-16 but
we didn't start using this system until 2006 iirc
20:05:54 <Hydroxide> schultmc: hrm. very confusing since we have definitely
had treasurer's reports subsequent to 2000-01-01 (I know both branden and I
did a bunch)
20:05:58 <bdale> schultmc: not to be pushy, but I'm having a hard time
figuring out how much progress is being made. This is important stuff, yet
seems to be dragging out. Is there anything I or others on the board can do
20:07:07 <schultmc> bdale: not at this time - Josh has been handling the
credit card data entry himself in the past and his travel schedule makes him
too busy to handle that - I'm taking that over and will have us caught up
ASAP (1-2 weeks max I estimate)
20:07:42 <bdale> schultmc: ok. do you believe we'll be able to have a
report before the next board meeting?
20:07:43 <schultmc> other than the credit card donations, we're caught up as
of the last bank visit
20:07:48 <schultmc> bdale: yes, definitely
20:08:04 - lucas!~lucas at xanadu.blop.info has joined #spi
20:08:13 <bdale> schultmc: ok, that's good news. let's stay in sync in the
meantime, the sooner I can get something to use to trigger emitting an
annual report the happier I'll be!
20:08:19 <bdale> anything else?
20:08:24 <schultmc> not from me
20:08:27 <bdale> k
20:08:33 <bdale> [item 5, Secretary's report]
20:08:35 <bdale> has Neil arrived?
20:08:41 <cdlu> I don't expect Neil to arrive
20:08:43 <bdale> doesn't look like it
20:08:53 <bdale> anyone have a report from him?
20:08:53 <cdlu> election night for him
20:08:57 <bdale> ah, ok
20:09:01 <Hydroxide> schultmc: one more question for you ... any status
update on the form 1023 request?
20:09:08 <Hydroxide> (and the corresponding approval letter request)
20:09:35 <schultmc> Hydroxide: the request has been submitted to the IRS and
they've cashed the check (fee for form request) so it's in their queue
20:10:04 <bdale> ok, great, let's move on
20:10:05 <Hydroxide> schultmc: ok, thanks.
20:10:28 <bdale> with no Neil, I assume we don't have minutes?
20:10:34 <bdale> to approve, I mean
20:10:38 <schultmc> none linked from the agenda
20:10:41 <bdale> right
20:10:44 <bdale> ok, let's keep moving
20:10:45 <Hydroxide> bdale: his announcement email said there were zero to
20:10:54 <Hydroxide> heh, interesting typo there
20:11:02 <bdale> Hydroxide: thanks, I guess I missed that detail
20:11:09 <bdale> [item 7, Items up for discussion]
20:11:09 <bdale> [item 7.1, Debian logo license ]
20:11:09 <bdale> What's up here?
20:11:29 <Hydroxide> as far as I know, nothing to discuss this meeting. I
don't know why this was left on the agenda from last meeting.
20:11:30 * schultmc thought we voted on that last month
20:11:37 <bdale> me too
20:11:51 <Hydroxide> also, Neil's mail mentioned one motion to approve, but
neither that nor the agenda links to a motion.
20:11:56 <bdale> I'm willing to believe there might have been some followup,
but seems just as likely it's an over-zealous cut n paste?
20:12:06 <linuxpoet> I am thinking cut n paste fury
20:12:09 <bdale> ok
20:12:09 <Hydroxide> probably
20:12:17 <bdale> [item 7.2, New Debian Project Leader ]
20:12:17 <bdale> The Debian project has elected Steve McIntyre as their new
DPL. It has been our tradition to treat the sitting DPL as an SPI board
20:12:17 <bdale> I believe Steve is on channel, Sam may be too? Do we need
to take any explicit action?
20:12:19 * Sledge will slap him when he turns up later
20:12:31 <cdlu> bdale, it's not tradition, it's legislated
20:12:37 * bdale is ok with that
20:12:42 <sam> note that I'm still the sitting DPL for almost 5 hours :)
20:12:47 <Sledge> :-)
20:12:47 <Hydroxide> although, we usually vote on new advisors, right?
20:12:55 <bdale> ergo my question
20:12:59 <Ganneff> dont think we need to do stuff - the membership is for
leader at d.o (including the mail lists) :) 20:13:00 <cdlu> hydroxide, member
project leaders are always advisors
20:13:13 <Hydroxide> cdlu: with no vote? gotcha.
20:13:16 <cdlu> adding sam is fine with me
20:13:18 <cdlu> (back in)
20:13:20 <cdlu> if that's what we want
20:13:27 <bdale> what does sam want? ;-)
20:13:41 <sam> I'd be happy to
20:14:14 <bdale> I'm happy to have sam's opinions on things, but I'm
ambivalent about whether we need to annoint him as an advisor in order to
listen to him.
20:14:35 <cdlu> Steve could always appoint Sam as Debian's advisor in his
20:14:41 <bdale> what privs does that status convey? access to the -board
20:14:44 <cdlu> basically
20:15:02 <sam> oh, it's not that I lack communication channels to contact
any SPI members anyway
20:15:45 <Sledge> sam and I can work this out later, I'm sure, if there's
anything needed from/for Debian
20:15:47 <Ganneff> umm. if we go and appoint every ex-dpl as an advisor we
end up with lotsa people on the list soon
20:15:52 <bdale> right
20:16:02 <bdale> ok
20:16:11 <bdale> let's not take any explicit action today, then
20:16:13 <cdlu> bdale,
20:16:14 <sam> like Ganneff says. I don't think I need anything special
20:16:15 <cdlu> for reference.
20:16:36 <bdale> advisorship will move from sam to Sledge, we can entertain
a motion to add sam later if anyone feels the need. ok?
20:16:49 <cdlu> works for me
20:16:56 <bdale> Do any board members have other items for discussion they
would like to address briefly?
20:17:18 <Hydroxide> does anyone know if we've taken care of whatever one
motion neil referred to in his announcement email?
20:17:32 * bdale assumes that was related to the mistaken logo item
20:17:43 <bdale> or perhaps the DPL change
20:17:43 <Hydroxide> ah.
20:17:48 <bdale> unclear
20:17:54 * Hydroxide has nothing else to discuss now 20:18:00 <bdale>
hopefully we'll be a bit more organized again by next month
20:18:04 <Hydroxide> yep.
20:18:08 <bdale> [item 8, Next board meeting]
20:18:08 <bdale> I believe our default would be Wednesday 21st May, 2008 -
19:00 UTC? Works for me. Any strong objections?
20:18:37 <luk_> only minor :-)
20:18:50 <cdlu> that timeslot works for me.
20:19:05 <luk_> so no need to change it
20:19:07 * bdale counts to 10
20:19:20 <bdale> Ok, thank you to everyone present for participating today.
20:19:20 <bdale> *GAVEL*
Hope that helps,
MJ Ray (slef)
Webmaster for hire, statistician and online shop builder for a small
worker cooperative http://www.ttllp.co.uk/ http://mjr.towers.org.uk/
(Notice http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html) tel:+44-844-4437-237
Spi-general mailing list
Spi-general at lists.spi-inc.org
End of Spi-general Digest, Vol 38, Issue 3
More information about the Spi-general