SPI statement on 24th September as a day against software patents?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Sep 10 10:03:30 UTC 2008

Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy at spi-inc.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 10:29:21AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > How about a statement?
>
> Care to write an initial draft? If a final draft is ready in time for a
> reasonable on-list consensus of members to agree, plus a majority of board
> members, we might be able to pass it as a resolution at the September 17 board meeting, then push it out to -announce.

Well, they don't seem to be asking for money, so there's not so much
possibility to do things.  Here's an initial draft:-

SPI support for 24th September as a day against software patents

WHEREAS

1. we aim to aid, assist, cooperate, co-sponsor and otherwise engage
in concerted action with private, educational and governmental
organizations and associations on all issues and matters concerning
the use of computers and computer software and generally; [by-laws]

2. we are opposed to the existence of software patents and support the
work of the League for Programming Freedom; [1998-11-16.iwj.2]

3. a global coalition of more than 80 software companies, associations
and developers has declared the 24th of September to be the "World Day
Against Software Patents"; [http://stopsoftwarepatents.org]

SPI RESOLVES

1. to support the World Day Against Software Patents in general,
including signing the petition, issuing a news release and board
members making such comments to reporters as they feel appropriate;

2. to inform its members about opportunities to take part in events
against software patents around this time.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)