Meeting log for 2008-09-17

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Sep 19 10:11:30 UTC 2008

Joerg Jaspert <joerg at debian.org> wrote:
> >> I'm optimistic about the treasurer's reports and the two resolutions
> >> passed, but I'm really disappointed by the apparent adoption of "aob".
[...]
> > Am I right that "AOB" is short for "Any Other Business", refering to
> > discussions that deal with topics that have not been set on the agenda of
> > the meeting?
>
> Yes, and should (IMO) be used for things that don't need lots of discussion or
> especially a vote, so mainly what linuxpoet did - some kind of
> announces/invites.

Well, shouldn't linuxpoet's second point have been in the treasurer
report discussion?  Then maybe the board could have done more to
address it, if felt necessary.  Is last-minute point-making about the
treasury really the sort of thing that should be under AOB?

Small non-vote things like the PG West conference announcement could
be included in one of the reports, which would still take less than a
minute (msg the president or secretary if you want to be really formal
about it), put such news higher up the meeting and avoid opening the
AOB hole.

AOB hasn't appeared on SPI agendas since 1998.  I feel that's good and
healthy, so I'm disappointed by this back-sliding.  None of the board
stood on a ticket that included hiding stuff from members by allowing
last-minute unannounced business, did they?  In fact, Joerg Jaspert
*promised* not to disturb SPI's decision making.

Please don't permit AOB at meetings.
--
MJ Ray (slef)