Meeting log for 2008-09-17

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Sep 19 16:38:23 UTC 2008

Joshua D. Drake writes ("Re: Meeting log for 2008-09-17"):
> We have been doing AOB at meetings since at least my 3rd meeting. I
> specifically requested it in fact. It makes things a lot easier on
> everyone when something simple needs to be pointed out for the record
> but doesn't need a lot of discussion. I don't see us stopping AOB at
> this time.

What AOB has been transacted ?  How will these `simple things' that
are `pointed out' `for the record' be made visible to the membership
in general ?  Which `record' do they end up in ?  What if they are in
fact not `simple' ?  These are rhetorical questions, of course - the
answers are:

AOB items aren't made visible to the membership in general.  AOB items
are are recorded only in the IRC logs which do not constitute a
readily accessible or comprehensible record.  If an AOB item is
complicated or controversial the membership will find out about it by
backscatter if we are lucky or too late if we are not.

In theory these items ought to be rewritten into the minutes but in
practice this usually happens only a very long time afterwards, or not
at all.  And there is no feedback mechanism that prevents AOB from
being used inappropriately or which ensures that the resulting poor
communications are addressed.

Ian.