Meeting log for 2008-09-17

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat Sep 20 12:02:39 UTC 2008

Andrew Sullivan <ajs at crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:11:30AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Please don't permit AOB at meetings.
>
> In my opinion, that is too high a bar.  I think that AOB should likely
> be rare, but it may need to be included anyway, because sometimes
> things happen that are surprising, and the Board does need to make
> decisions in such cases.

What "surprising" thing has ever happened to SPI that couldn't have
fitted into the normal notice period, or at least have been appended
to an officer report before the meeting started (in the case of
announcements)?

It seems bloody difficult to get SPI moving in less than a *month* at
the moment, so I'm rather sceptical that there are things SPI will
react to in less than a week, let alone 30 minutes.  Even when
SPI-held property was under threat, it took many months (2006-04 to
2007-01).  I feel AOB will be used for exactly the sort of late
point-making that happened this meeting.  Nothing is best as AOB.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef)