Meeting log for 2008-09-17

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat Sep 20 19:01:36 UTC 2008

Kalle Kivimaa <killer at debian.org> wrote:
> Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> > AOB items aren't made visible to the membership in general.
>
> Really? I know about epsilon's worth of US corporation governance, but
> here in Finland all AOB items are noted in the minutes.

That's only in the *minutes* - not visible in advance and members will
have no notice until the minutes are published.  According to
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/minutes that means we would soon find
out what items happened in February (which I believe are approved but
unlinked), far too late to influence things like SPI elections.

I know that I've been emailing the meeting logs in 2008, but they're
unofficial and not linked from the main website, I doubt many members
are reading spi-general and you shouldn't expect me to do this
forever.  The board really ought to be capable of publishing routine
communications efficiently, but even if they do, it's usually going to
be a month before the minutes are published in the normal manner.

Actually, I'm near disbelief that SPI still doesn't have a coherent
website or send emails on time, but maybe you knew that from my
election promises.  All of the main reasons people don't join SPI are
our misfiring marketing, really.  See
http://www.news.software.coop/spi-meeting-tonight-and-why-people-dont-join-spi/44/

What are the board doing to fix this?  Burying stuff under AOB?!?

> I agree with Joerg and Joshua that AOB is *the* place for news and
> notifications that don't require long discussions.

*Reports* are the place for low-discussion no-decision items.  Using
AOB for news or notifications is silly due to the publication-lag.

> [..] AOB is more pertinent for meetings between
> people who don't use email extensively.

Which isn't really the case here, is it?

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)