Up to date statements of account?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Thu Sep 25 12:47:32 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues,

Some of us recently asked the Liason for the PostgreSQL project for
an up to date accounting of the PostgreSQL fund at SPI.  To my shock
but not, alas, surprise, we were informed that (once again) the
information simply isn't available.

I would like to know the following:

1.  When can we anticipate that the current account statements will be
up to date?

2.  When can we anticipate that procedures (or paid staff, or both)
will be in place to ensure that the accounts will be kept up to date?
This is important so that projects can make plans on the basis of the
funds actually available to them.

In my opinion, keeping the accounts up to date is the _sine qua non_
of SPI.  Without this function, SPI is (bluntly) nothing but a
parasite on the associated projects, skimming donated money and
providing nothing of value in return.  Since joining SPI, I have never
once seen this issue completely rectified.  I see a lot of fire and
motion around all manner of other issues in the free software world,
but on this essential issue SPI does not seem actually to be doing its
job.

I believe it is the Board's job to do something about this: the Board
members are responsible for the operation of the corporation.  So I
would like the Board to commit to a date, and provide a plan by which
it will be achieved.

Best regards,

Andrew

--