Multi-winner Condorcet, vs STV

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Dec 8 17:02:16 UTC 2009

Um, I forgot to change some of my threes to fours, in my example:

 If we imagine a polarised election, where there are four candidates on
 one side A B C D and four candidates on the other side W X Y Z, and
 four seats, and every ballot is either an ABCD-ballot (ranks every
 ABCD above every WXYZ) or an WXYZ-ballot (ranks every WXYZ above every
 ABCD) then a bare majority of ABCDs over WXYZs will get all four of
 their candidates elected.  This would be quite unfair; a better result
 would be to elect two of A B C D and two of W X Y Z.

Ian.