Resolution 2009-03-16.jrk.1: OpenWRT as associated project [revised]

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Mar 17 18:37:54 UTC 2009

Jimmy Kaplowitz writes ("Re: Resolution 2009-03-16.jrk.1: OpenWRT as associated project 	[revised]"):
>  6. This invitation will lapse 60 days after it is approved by the SPI Board
>     unless each liaison, within that time, has accepted it on behalf of
>     OpenWRT, agreed with the other liaison on a single willing third person
>     who will be asked to resolve disagreeing instructions from the two
>     liaisons, and communicated that choice to the Board.

I don't think this is the right protocol.

The liason's job is not, when talking to SPI, to _make_ a decision.
It is to _report_ a decision when properly taken.

If the liasons disagree then one or both of them is probably playing
fast and loose.  Or at the very least there is a serious
misunderstanding.  We should in that case investigate properly - this
would probably involve board members reviewing archives of the OpenWRT
governance mailing list, or whatever.

If Debian's Project Leader told us one thing, but the Secretary (or
some other credible source) told us something else, we wouldn't expect
Debian to provide a third person to distinguish (as if we were some
kind of computational black box).  We would review the relevant
documents (ie, the Debian Constitution), and the relevant lists, and
make our own minds up whether the decision was properly taken.

Ian.