Liberating Software as Charity?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Dec 15 06:55:35 UTC 2010

AJ ONeal <coolaj86 at gmail.com> writes:

> Let's say that I would like pay someone to Open Source a closed-source
> library or pay someone to develop an Open Source library and I'd also
> like to be able to claim that on my taxes as a charitable
> contribution.

In general, a state will grant tax breaks for donations only if the
recipient is a charitable organisation registered as such with that
specific state.

You would need to look into the available registered charities in your
state. Which ones do you have that could accept your donation for this
purpose?

--
 \              “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does |
  `\           knowledge.” —Charles Darwin, _The Descent of Man_, 1871 |