Developing Software as Charity?

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Sat Dec 18 10:52:28 UTC 2010

Jimmy Kaplowitz:
> Hi AJ,
>
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:16:20AM -0700, AJ ONeal wrote:
> > I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:
> >
> > I suggest that a free software organization of some sort produce some
> > sort of software.
> > I donate the money necessary to fund the development of said software.
> >
> > I benefit from the donation, but so does everyone else.
> >
> > Perhaps there is no such organization currently in place.
Hi,

while you're discussing this, may you also consider the opposite case? I'd
like to work full time developing free software. People who pay me for this,
should be able to deduct my payment from taxes.

There'd need to be a charity which employs me. Maybe the charity would need to
restrict it's services only to other charities for this model to work.

I'll be funemployed from march next year and plan to discuss this question
with a local tax officer. I live in Switzerland a few meters away from the
German border.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro