Code of Conduct at events [and 1 more messages]

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Nov 10 17:26:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10 2010, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Julien Danjou writes ("Re: Code of Conduct at events"):
>> I can't see how it can be useful to say to people in a code of conduct
>> what to do and not to do, like e.g. do not kill anyone.
>
> Not put your hand on someone's breast without asking first, for
> example ?  Some people apparently think that this is just fine!

I was not using this as an example because I know that is what is
motivating you, and I wanted to use absurdity for my demonstration.

> Clearly stating that (a) it is not and (b) the conference organisers
> will not tolerate it, will probably help a lot.

But couldn't be too "light"? Maybe putting a hand of someone breast can
be worth the risk being kicked out the event? Even more if I do not risk
anything by the country law.

That's why I don't like the idea to substitute to local laws.

My proposal would be rather to write a set of rules that each country
has to pass to be eligible to host an event. That would have more sense
IMHO, and will be probably more effective.

> Again, this is a bizarre idea.  When you hold a party, do you not hold
> your guests to standards of behaviour that are stronger than those
> which the police will enforce in a public bar ?

Honestly, I can't think of anything.
I even think it would rather be the opposite. :)

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <julien at danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info